d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.

Click to see the Mascot page - it's awesome


I love the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Mascots. They have been an Asian girls dream. They are Canadian but have that slightly Japanese cartoon feel I can't put my finger on. Whatever it is, it sells. When these guys were first released over 2 years ago the kids went crazy for them and even now they sleep with their stuffies at night.

Dangrdafne was asking if there were penguins. Sorry to disappoint but no these are all mythical creatures and have a very West Coast feel to them. Of course all the photos on this page come from and belong to the Vancouver 2010 website. Obviously I own the copyrights to none of these things and only truly own the Miga toy at the end of this post.

If you only go to one link on this entire post please see the Meet the Mascots Video

Click this pic to Meet the Mascots
and click on the video on the left side of the screen.


I can't embed the video in the post right now but that pic will take you right to their page and it's the video on the left. The first time I watched it three times in a row because I loved it so much.

The Vancouver Mascot website has lots of activities and games for the kids plus a link to the Olympic shop where you can buy these cuties too.

To the Vancouver 2010 Mascot Website


There are 3 main mascots which are mythical creatures (Quatchi, Miga, and Sumi) and a fourth one which was released a year later than the rest who is a marmot (Mukmuk).

First is Quatchi, a young mythical sasquatch (or big foot) who dreams of becoming a hockey goalie. He is the biggest of the bunch and the plush one at home has been assigned to be Mr. TC by the kids.

Click to learn more about Quatchi


Next is Miga who is a young mythical sea bear (part killer whale and part Kermode white Spirit bear). She lives near Tofino, B.C. where all the surfers hang out. Miga surfs during the summer but snowboards during the winter.

Click here to check out Miga


In my house, my youngest loves Miga and the kids usually pretend that I am Miga when they play.

Third is Sumi is the mascot for the Paralympic Games. He is an animal spirit guardian. He wears the hat of the orca whale, flies with thunderbird wings, and runs with the strong legs of a black bear.

Click here to learn more about Sumi


Sumi is my eldest's favourite because he loves green.

Last is the sidekick Mukmuk, a Vancouver Island marmot who cheers on all the other mascots. He is small and is a rare endangered species.

Click here to learn more about Mukmuk


So, there are the mascots. You'll see them a lot in my Olympics posts for the next two weeks.

So today marked a bit of a milestone. My youngest child was super happy but also a little surprised today because I had a Happy Meal too. First one in a very long time but I couldn't help it when I saw this.


Our cousins have all of the Olympic Happy Meal toys that have been released so far but I just haven't hit a McDonald's for a while. I shouldn't have been on a health kick over the last few weeks. Now, I'll have to either hit ebay or raid some of our friends houses at playdates.

I snapped as many iphone photos as I could

Miga snowboarding
Miga figure skating
Hockey goalie Quatchi
Quatchi & Miga bobsledding
Quatchi doing luge

Quatchi ski jumping and Sumi playing Ice Sledge Hockey

Sumi alpine skiing
Our snowboard Miga


I actually saved our Happy Meal boxes for once as well. See why?
Side three of the Happy Meal box
Fourth side of the box with hockey rink, sticks, and pucks to punch out
  
Next post, Mini-Edward's Olympic Adventures (Part 1)...

8 comments:

Mrs. R said...

I must admit, those McDonalds figurines are super cute! I sense a new obsession for you...all things Olympic. Is mini-E getting worried that your new collection will overtake the location where all things Twilight are stored? I'd be nervous if I were him. Those Happy Meal boxes can sure take up a lot of space!

dangrdafne said...

These are so cute I could just cry. I love the marmot. I see now that there is no way it is a penguin - I could only see the colors in the original picture and that is why I thought it might be a penguin. I wonder if all McDonald's are carrying these. If so, I will have to send my Mom to get them - she likes Happy Meals, it is just enough food for her unlike the regular meals. Thanks for all the great pics and links.

Mrs. P said...

I totally agree...there is something about these little guys that makes you love them! I love your posts...so much work put into them and always so educating...honeslty. I can't wait to see the adventures of Mini E!

twilightcupcake said...

So happy you guys like them. More to come. And yes Mrs. P. I'm glad the posts are educational even the erotic ones.

17foreverlisa said...

Holy, crap, Jenny!! Here's a silly factoid you don't know about me. I briefly touched on it in my TwiBite Challenge with Mrs. P. I have an irrational phobia about whales, which over the years, has extended itself to all sea creatures. Needless to say, my heart lurched when I launched the mascot video. I know it's only a cartoon, but I couldn't finish watching it :( And then just when I thought Miga was my favorite, I read that she is part whale (I even hate typing that word), and Sumi is wearing a whale-inspired hat, so he's out. Then I found my mascot soulmate - Mukmuk:

"Mukmuk is a small and friendly Vancouver Island marmot who always supports and cheers loudly for his friends during games and races."

"Mukmuk gets his name from the word ‘muckamuck,’ Chinook jargon for ‘food,’ because he loves to eat! "

Mumuk for the win!

Lisa

twilightcupcake said...

Omg Lisa. It's a really good thing you don't live up in Canada. I didn't know about the whale thing and feel terrible that I traumatized you with a video that was supposed to be cute. Do I need to keep all sumi, miga and whale related pics and references to the end of a post?

17foreverlisa said...

LOL!! With everyone wanting spoiler alerts for Rob's movie postings, would you have ever thought you'd need one for a blogger with a whale phobia? Go figure! So far, I'm okay with the mascots; they're cute. If you post some whale pictures or videos, you can just add a "Lisa, look away" disclaimer. LMAO!!!

twilightcupcake said...

Oka Lisa will do. I also have odd phobias - clowns, birds, and wet hair. Shuddering now.